Saturday, July 26, 2008

They are not forgotten

My initial reason for coming to the subject of this blog was selfish. In the fall of 2001, not two months after 9/11, I was hiking in the White Mountains of New Hampshire. I had parked my car near the Pinkham Notch AMC lot, and hiked the Lost Pond trail, which is a beautiful, easy trail. Not one month later, a tourist from Quebec, Ms. Louise Chaput, was reported missing and her body was later found close near the Glen Boulder trail. While searching on the internet, I found a number of links about the Conneticut River Valley murders which apparently took place from the mid-70s through the 90s. I was startled by the fact that, despite decades of travelling roads in these areas, I had never heard of these cases. One of the links I followed was to Silky Boxerz' fine site:
NH & VT Missing Persons

Then, in late 2004, I became aware of the disappearance of UMass student Maura Murray, whose car was found in Swiftwater, NH, on February 9, 2004, and who has not been seen since. The number of missing persons case and unsolved murders in northern New England and southern Quebec is great. Some of this undoubtedly is due to the large wilderness areas of the region. A number of us looking at these cases, however, have noticed some similarities in some of them. This blog is for the purpose of finding information about these cases.
All respectful discussion is welcome.

3 comments:

elsewherebriefly said...

Hey Sophie & Fellow Brigadeer,

Great blog! Thanks for posting Silky's links and the links to the newspapers as well.

Don't forget to copy Silky's photo of mountain lilies and past it somewhere on your main page. She'd like that very much.

Hail Ye the Pointy Boot Brigade

Kim & Beau (woof)

sophie bean said...

Thanks, Kim and Beau!
I will copy Silky's picture of the lilies.
I don't have actual links to the papers yet but will add them soon.
I think thatI'm going to list cases chronologically, and then try to cross-reference by things that they may have in common - see if any patterns show up.

Lynn said...

Can I join the pointy boot brigade? I must own 30 or so pair of cowboy boots, lol.
My blog is boring, was going to write a book, I still might.
Beth used to laugh at a new pair for each day.............